The staff here at You and Your Dog are self-confessed dog ‘enthusiasts’ and enjoy sharing their knowledge with other pet dog owners – whether it be solving problem puppy behaviour, teaching fancy tricks, or helping you to teach Fido how to be a well mannered member of the family.
Dog Trainer and Behaviour Consultant.
Vikki is the owner of You and Your Dog and is an Accredited Professional Canine Trainer (PCT-A). She has a Diploma in Canine Behaviour Science and Technology which she gained in 2012 through the Companion Animal Sciences Institute. Vikki is the dog trainer for The Nelson ARK instructing the rehabilitative A-PART programme that is run four times a year, and is also the chairperson of the ARK’s Dog Advisory and Welfare Group.
Vikki is dedicated to continued learning, she attends dog behaviour seminars and conferences each year and keeps herself up-to-date with learning theory, research and training techniques.
Vikki’s training methods are based on modern behavioural science and understanding of the fact that animals learn by consequence and association. Her aim is to use gentle yet effective methods to change your dog’s behaviour.
Here are position statements on the Dominance theory, reward-based training, and the pitfalls of using punishment methods to train dogs. These have been written by the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour and the Australian Veterinary Association.
Behaviour Seminars – Qualifications – Short Courses attended:
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers New Zealand 3-Day Conference, Auckland, 2017
- Bob Bailey 3-Day Seminar, Auckland, 2017
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers Australia 4-Day Conference, Sydney, 2016
- The Pet Professional Guild – Gained accreditation as a Professional Canine Trainer (PCT-A) 2015
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers Australia 3-Day Conference, Brisbane, 2015
- Karen Pryor Academy for Dog Trainers – Puppy Start Right Course for Instructors 2014
- Dr Suzanne Friedman 3-Day Seminar, Auckland 2014
- Dr Ian Dunbar 3-Day Seminar, Auckland, 2013
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers New Zealand 3-Day Conference, Auckland, 2013
- Clicker Training with Debra Millikan – 2-Day Workshop, Nelson, 2013
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers New Zealand 3-Day Conference, Auckland, 2012
- Companion Animal Sciences Institute, Diploma of Canine Behaviour Science, and Technology, 2012
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers Australia 3-Day Conference, Sydney, 2011
- Dr Kersti Seksel & Dr Gabrielle Carter 2-Day Seminar, Perth, 2011
- Challenger TAFE – Companion Animal Studies – One year practical part-time course Perth, 2011
- Challenger TAFE – Provide Animal First Aid – Segment of Companion Animal Course, Perth, 2011
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers Australia 3-Day conference, Sydney, 2010
- ACS Education Australia – Certificate of Attainment for Animal Behaviour, 2009
Class Instructor / Dog Walker
Lizzi is an experienced dog trainer, dog handler and qualified veterinary nurse. She instructs the K9’s Got Talent trick training classes, and the Simple Manners and Super Manners Dog training classes. Lizzi is also a qualified dog walker and pet sitter.
Lizzi is has three of her own dogs – Cora and Eva (pictured below) and Hanna. Her dogs have many fancy tricks up their sleeves ranging from the basics to the advanced and Lizzi with her trio of dogs prove to be a hit when showing off their tricks at various events around Nelson.
Cat is a self-confessed ‘crazy dog lady’ with a deep passion for our four legged friends. Cat had two beautiful spaniels in the UK and now has the most stunning greyhound collie x who is the love of her life (along with the hubby of course!). Cat regularly has foster dogs come to stay, getting to know dogs of all shapes and sizes. Cat has recently completed two diplomas in canine behaviour and training and canine nutrition. She is about to start two further diplomas in canine communication and puppy training.